Thursday, July 20, 2006

Wonderful One Skein Wonder

I have finished knitting Stefanie Japel's One Skein Wonder in Hip Knits Aran weight silk in Peony for my friend Katie for her birthday. The OSW seems to have been a huge hit all over the knitting blog-o-sphere and I'm a bit late in jumping on the bandwagon, but I'm soooooooooo glad I did!

This was a really quick and simple knit. At first I didn't think the pattern explained itself properly, but then I thoroughly enjoyed how it sort of sprang into shape!

The Aran silk was lovely to knit with too, it was so soft and the colours (which I spotted on one of annarella's projects) are so sweet and sugary that it seemed like perfect summer knitting.

Oh and I got to use the circular needle sent to me by my Secret Pal and knit in the round on circular needles for the first time. I really liked the final part of the pattern where you pick up stitches all the way round the garment and knit an inch of rib (I did nearly 2 inches because I was having so much fun) in the round.

The only problem is it doesn't photograph well when not being worn, so the picture above is of it folded after I gently blocked it. Actually, I blocked it by spraying it and wearing it until it was dry. Because you knit the ribbing in the round it seemed silly to block the garment flat as it would distort the beautiful shape, and as Katie is the same size as me, I though this would be the best way and I rather think I was right. I hope to post another picture of her wearing it at some point though, so that its cuteness can be fully appreciated.

I have also printed up some labels to use on my knitted gifts and so the picture below is of it all wrapped up and ready for its new owner.
Now I just wish I had some more Hip Knits aran silk so that I could knit myself one!!!

4 Comments:

At 9:29 am, Blogger Charlotte Frost said...

Thanks for that! Thats a great idea - I think, as I can't quite visualise it - but it sounds like that would be the way to go!

 
At 3:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your One Skein Wonder really looks great, I´m sure your friend will like it!
Another clapotis hint: you could wait until you´re getting your next package - maybe your SP will give in making you some stitch markers ;-)

Your Secret Pal

 
At 7:08 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. The one skein wonder you knitted for your friend looks so cute. I love the colourway and the wrapping and label are the icing on the cake!

 
At 9:31 am, Blogger Charlotte Frost said...

Thanks for the compliments on the OSW, it went to its new home yesterday and I have to admit I was sorry to see it go. The colours looked so pretty outside in the sunshine and everyone was impressed with it.

And as for stitch markers SP, that sounds very exciting. I just know that you would make ones I would like!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home