Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Over the Rainbow

I am madly in love with these socks! I’ve been trying to finish off some socks my mum started (but couldn’t manage) for her birthday, but truth be told, I’m bored with the yarn - It’s a self striper in a colour-way I don’t much care for, oh and her birthday is on Friday! Anyway, the other day I was having a bit of a browse and I found pattern and fell in love.

I was thinking how much they reminded me of Rainbow Bright which I was pretty into when I was little, alongside My Little Pony and the good old Care Bears ( I should point out I have just been given a My Little Pony T-shirt by my Mum which I love and I also have Love-a-Lot Bear on my mobile phone), and then I read that the pattern designer was also inspired by Rainbow Bright and the crew!

Now, feel I’m really going to have to knit them, and as socks is all I’m up to at the moment I don’t think it’s a bad plan, but I’m not sure about yarn. I’d love to use some stash, but don’t have any appropriate sock yarn. I decided I’d like them to stripe like the ones pictured, but thought I might want a more ‘authentic’ Rainbow Bright colour scheme, something more primary, or, well, bright! And then I found Opal ‘Feelings 1701’ (scroll down) and I’m seriously tempted!

…Of course it also seems like some sort of weird synchronicity that I’m currently fundraising for the Rainbow Trust!

5 Comments:

At 12:34 pm, Blogger Piglottie said...

Oooh, I loved My Little Pony and Care Bears too :) Lovely socks and glad to hear you are picking up the pins agains!

 
At 7:12 pm, Blogger mjm knitting said...

Don't worry. I can finish your mum's socks for her if you haven't by the time we get there in July.

 
At 8:04 pm, Blogger Lyndsey-Jane said...

I loved my Rainbow Brite doll when I was little. I think your yarn choice will work out really pretty. I now have the urge to make those socks and am raking my brain as to what sock yarn I have in my stash that will work. I'm not usually fond of the self-stiping stuff and prefer a more variagated look but for those sock BIG BOLD stripes are a must. Good Luck with them and lets us all know how they go.

 
At 9:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh Charlotte - thank you! How delicious to be plunged back into the cheerful memories of Rainbow Bright and My Little Pony. I have to admit they were Binky's toys and not mine, but I still have two fairytale ponies fluttering around my studio windows just for the thrill of it!
I also keep company with Sylvanian's and Polly Pocket!
Love the Opal!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 9:37 pm, Blogger Charlotte Frost said...

I'm so excited I reminded everyone of the thrills of My Little Pony, Rainbow Bright and the Care Bears! And Cherry you are right Sylvanians and Polly Pocket rock too! I can't abide some of today's offerings such as the Bratz Dolls for all their sexual styling that is just wrong, wrong, wrong! Stick to the good stuff thats what I say!

Lyndsey-Jane if you beat me to the socks let me know how you get on!
xxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home